Sunday, November 4, 2012

The T Shirt Maxi Skirt




How cute is this skirt??  I made it using t shirts from the thrift store!  Don't hate me but I didn't take any pictures of the process (wow this is new right?)  No worries, it's super simple!




This skirt was made for my 8 year old who is more like a size 6/7.  I used 4 different t shirts in various sizes.  The blue and yellow were solid Men's t's and the brown and pink were smaller Women's t's which were also somewhat of a "heather"ish looking fabric.  The most important process of this project is to get colors that go well together but are also interesting.  I walked around the thrift store for a long time putting shirts in my cart and then putting them back before I felt I had what I wanted.

First I cut the shirts into strips and then I sewed the strips together until I had one big piece of fabric in a giant square shape.  Then I folded it in half and from this point I proceeded using this tutorial from Watch Out For The Woestmans. She makes it super easy!!  I then used the bottom of the yellow Men's shirt for the ruffle at the bottom of the skirt.  In doing this I literally just chopped of the bottom of the shirt and then ruffled/gathered it and then attached it to the bottom of the skirt.  This way I was able to use the finished end of the shirt and it was also already attached at the sides.  I made her skirt quite fitted because this funny little gal likes things that way.  Anything bulky drives her crazy, but there was enough of the t shirts that I could have made it looser.


I know I'm a little late hopping on the Maxi Skirt wagon but I think  this skirt would be super cute for winter as well as the warmer seasons.  Just layer it with a scarf, UGG boots and a cardigan!

Aww man, I wish I could be a little girl and look amazing in whatever I put on!!  Unfortunately I've got this post baby weight to deal with.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go running in the middle of the winter with two kids in tow?  I'm at a loss...guess I just won't exercise!  That was easy!


Have fun and get creative!

10 comments:

ShipShapeMadre said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I adore this! what a fun & clever idea! I love the colors you chose too! Can't wait to try my hand at making a few of my own!

Carrie said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is BEYOND CUTE!!!! I want to make a maxi skirt like crazy...off the charts adorable.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is adorable! I see three in the making for 3 pretty little granddaughters. Your darling little girl is so sweet. My lovely grandmother would say that "She is so pretty, she would be pretty in a tow sack." Thank you for sharing. Regena in TN.

kendra said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I love it! I think your girls (and boys) are absolutely beautiful. I'm finally trying to lose my baby weight (my baby is 18 months!). I found a treadmill at di and Jared already had one. He gets me up every morning and we go running together before the kids wake up. Still waiting for the pounds to come off but I feel a lot better and am in better shape. I'm sure your 5 lbs will be a lot easier to lose since you're so skinny! :)

Catherine Elizabeth said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This skirt is so cute. I am inspired to make one for myself. Thank you.

Catherine Elizabeth said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This skirt is so cute. I am inspired to make one for myself. Thank you.

Sky said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I've enjoyed browsing around a bit tonight- you have adorable style! Also, congratulations on your new little guy! I added your button to my sidebar and will surely be back :) Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Katherine Steven said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Really looking cute and adorable! Getting a stylish look by wearing cool color cheap tees in awesome styles and get it at wholesale rates!

cheap t shirts said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

This is so cute, I really like it and now I am going to buy this kind of cool t-shirt by this evening. I am still waiting for your new post.

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I'm SO making one of these for my size 5 miss 7! I'm in Australia so it's summer here, but with my to-do list and rather slow progress (4 kids, miss 7 being the oldest), I might even get it done before autumn (aka fall) cools off.
On the exercise front I do Zumba. I do the 20 minute workout in my lounge room with the curtains drawn so NO ONE can see me, haha. Usually at night after the kids are in bed, or i strap miss 2 into her highchair with lunch, sit miss 4 up with food and instructions not to move and do it while the older 2 are at school/kindergarten and dh is at work;) It's a decent workout and i noticed a difference in a few weeks, plus, with kids around, finding more than 20 mins to myself is a little difficult!
Rachael.